Beast Mode Challenge: Beginner Workout
This workout will get beginners moving like pros in no time! Try this full-body workout three times a week to perfectly prep you for jumping and strength-based obstacles.
MORE ADVANCED WORK OUT HERE
What to Do: Complete 15 repetitions of each exercise; complete the whole list 3 times through.
- Box Jumps
- Dumbbell Swing
- Swiss Ball Pass
- Curl & Press
- Goblet Squat & Press Out
- Swiss Ball Pike (or Knee Tuck)
- Dynamic BOSU Push Up
- Medicine Ball Slam, 20 lbs
How to do it:
- Box Jumps: Use a short metal or soft box. Collect yourself into a squat, then jump to land flat-footed on top of the box. Hop down and repeat.
- Dumbbell Swing: Hold a dumbbell with one hand (by the handgrip) or two hands (at the end plate). Assume a squat position with your back straight and your arm(s) hanging between your legs. Stand up while forcefully thrusting your hips forward and swinging the dumbbell up to chest level, then in one smooth motion return to the squatting position.
- Swiss Ball Pass: Use a small Swiss ball that you can comfortably grip between your feet. Lay on your back with your arms over your head holding the Swiss ball. Raise your arms and legs into a V, maintaining ground contact with your behind as you pass the ball from your hands to your feet. Slowly lower the ball to the ground, then V-up to pass the ball back to your hands. Repeat!
- Curl & Press: Use one dumbbell per hand. Stand with your arms extended down at your sides, palms facing outward. Curl the dumbbell to chest height, reverse your hands so your palms face outward once again at ear height, then complete a shoulder press to full arm extension over your head. Reverse this motion to return to the starting position.
- Goblet Squat & Press Out: Use both hands to hold a single dumbbell at chest level by the end plate. Lower yourself into a squat, then extend your arms to push the dumbbell away from your chest. Make sure to keep your arms parallel to the floor!
- Swiss Ball Pike: Begin in plank position with your arms extended and your feet resting on top of a Swiss ball. Bend at the waist, using your feet to roll the ball toward your arms. Keep your arms, back, and legs straight!
- Alternate: Swiss Ball Knee Tuck: Begin in the same starting position as the Pike. Bend your knees to roll the ball toward your arms. Keep your arms and back straight!
- Dynamic BOSU Push Up: Begin in plank position with your hands on the dome of a BOSU balance trainer. Lower yourself onto first one, then the other elbow. Finally, push yourself back up into elevated plank.
- Medicine Ball Slam: Use a 20-pound medicine ball. Raise the ball over your head with arms fully extended. Then, keeping your arms straight, slam the ball down to the floor. Squat down to pick up the ball and return to the start position.
The Subway Beast Mode Challenge is July 30th at Swan Creek Park in Tacoma. Train for the race at STAR Center in South Tacoma. STAR Center is a full fitness facility with free weights, cardio equipment, and an adventure playground for kids. Plus over 40 group fitness classes every week for all fitness levels. Stay in shape all year at STAR Center in South Tacoma or in North East Tacoma at The Center at Norpoint. Go to metroparkstacoma.org for fitness center details.
Workouts designed by: Reilly Harris ACSM Certified Personal Trainer; B.S. in Exercise Science from the University of Puget Sound. Reilly has been with Metro Parks Tacoma since October of 2014.
Inspirational Quote: “Don’t want another person’s body. Want your own body, but leaner, stronger, and healthier
Good Luck and make sure your register for the 3rd Annual Subway Beastmode Challenge to celebrate Marshawn Lynch and Fam 1st Family Foundation. www.BeastModeChallengeSeattle.com
The Football themed Obstacle course and family festival is Saturday, July 30th at Swan Creek Park in Tacoma. REGISTER NOW! Don’t wait, space is limited. And let’s face it … Now, you’ve got the training plan. So, let’s go BEASTMODE!