It is true, it is undeniable, I gotta have more cowbell. Although cowbells first appeared in American hillbilly music in the 1920s, there are numerous examples of the cowbell as an instrument in more recent popular music. There is something to the cowbell in rock music that does go beyond the music. Any bunch of teenagers in a garage can get rock out of electric guitars and drums. To kick ass with some clunking cattle chimes, though, takes genius. So the people at Gibson decided to come up with the Top 10 Cowbell Songs of All Time to honor the “Cattle Call instrument”
10. “Red Morning Light” Kings of Leon
9. “Nightrain” Guns N’ Roses
8. “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” Blue Oyster Cult
7. “Low Rider” War
6. “Time Has Come Today” The Chambers Brothers
5. “Rock of Ages”Def Leppard
4. “We’re an American Band” Grand Funk Railroad
3. “Hair of the Dog” Nazareth
2. “Mississippi Queen” Mountain
1. “Honky Tonk Women” The Rolling Stones
Do you agree with these? Are they forgeting some songs?
You know what.. I gotta have more cowbell…. Remember the famous SNL skit?